Monday, February 25, 2013

Marjorie on Math Munch

There’s a great blog called Math Munch. I mentioned it in a previous post, but I have to revisit it here. I’ve signed up to receive new posts from Math Munch via email, something I don’t usually do. But I’ve found that this is worth the space in my inbox. Each post has a few different topics, everything from cool paper folding projects to high quality videos and online games. You must check it out!

The current Math Munch post includes a piece about a woman named Marjorie Rice who became interested in tesselations and discovered some new ones on her own. These pictures are from her website. What’s great about this story is that a) she’s a woman, b) she didn’t have a math background beyond high school, and c) she was curious, worked at something, and found enjoyment and success.

I won’t go on and on here, but the other two stories with Marjorie’s in this issue of Math Munch are equally worth reading.

The pictures I’ve included here are some of Marjorie’s tesselations.