Friday, March 16, 2012

Sugar and Ice book review



Phia Smith, a fourth grade mathematician at John J. Flynn Elementary School, read the book, “Sugar and Ice” by Kate Messner. Our school librarian told us it had some math in the story, including Fibonacci numbers. Phia and I had been learning about Fibonacci numbers together, so it seemed like a perfect book for her to read. She gave me permission to publish her book review here.

Sugar and Ice is a story about a girl named Claire. Claire is a skater and a mathematician at heart. She has a skating coach named Mary Pat. Skating on a cow pond she entered a skating competition and was so good she got offered a scholarship to a really nice skating group by Andrei Grosheva. With some troubles along the way she comes to a decision of what dream to follow. Read the book to find out.

I think it is a very good book. I enjoyed the bits of Fibonacci and math in it. I think it deserves 4 ½ stars. - Phia