Monday, November 21, 2011

Who Has?

Sidewalk card game by Lewis Hine
Who has played the Who Has game? I have. It’s a really good one, because it keeps all students on their toes.

Basically, you print up a bunch of index cards and hand them out to the class. If you’ve got 30 cards and 22 students, give extras to some of your stronger students. Choose a student to read their card. The game will go around the room until you are back to the first card.

Who Has? can be played with cards for any topic or subject area. There is a nice collection of Who Has? cards for different math activities on the excellent Mathwire website.

I’m going to specifically recommend two of them: More or Less and Place Value. I’ve encountered many students, even in the upper elementary grades, who do not fully understand place value. I think these Who Has? decks might help. Let me know if you try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment